NOW / COMP
Additional Waiver Resources
The New Options Waiver (NOW) and the Comprehensive Supports Waiver Program (COMP) offer home- and community-based services for people with a developmental or intellectual disability. A diagnosis of developmental disability includes mental retardation or other closely-related conditions such as cerebral palsy, epilepsy, autism or neurological problems. These are developmental disabilities that require a level of care provided in an intermediate care facility for people who have mental retardation. There are a little over 12,000 people with developmental disabilities served by the NOW/COMP programs in Georgia.
Purpose of the NOW/COMP Waiver Programs
The NOW waiver program enables individuals with less intense and urgent needs than out-of-home residential treatment or extensive waiver services to live independently in the community. Goals for participants in the NOW program include:
- Increasing the independence and quality of life for people with developmental disabilities
- Supporting families in caring for relatives with developmental disabilities
- Increasing the flexibility of service planning and delivery to meet an individual’s needs
- Avoiding the need for more intensive services
The COMP waiver program is for individuals who need comprehensive and intensive services to live in the community. Individuals eligible for the COMP waiver program need out-of home residential support and supervision or intensive in-home services to remain in the community.
People who are considering nursing institutional care such as Intermediate Care Facilities for people with mental retardation (ICF-MR) may be eligible for home- and community-based services as an alternative through Georgia’s Medicaid waiver programs.
In order to qualify for the waiver programs, the individual must first meet the criteria for Medicaid payment in an institution and certain other criteria. The person is then offered the choice between community-based services or institutional care.
The NOW/COMP Waiver Programs offer the following services, unless otherwise indicated:
- Adult Occupational Therapy Services
- Adult Physical Therapy Services
- Adult Speech and Language Therapy Services
- Behavioral Supports Consultation Services
- Community Access Services
- Community Guide Services
- Community Living Support Services
- Community Residential Alternative Services(COMP only)
- Environmental Accessibility Adaptation Services
- Financial Support Services
- Individual Directed Goods and Services
- Natural Support Training Services
- Pre-vocational Services
- Respite Services
- Specialized Medical Equipment Services
- Specialized Medical Supplies Services
- Support Coordination Services
- Supported Employment Services
- Transportation Services
- Vehicle Adaption Services